Tuesday, August 25, 2009

first post - Melville Verna's Viognier 2008

Since I sampled so many good wines in California, I decided to review some of those for some of the people who ask me for recommendations from time to time.

Those who know me well usually assume my tastes often call for Pinot Noir. After the California trip, I've reassessed my cellar and now appreciate other varietals. Shockingly, this includes some new whites!

I will start the review with one of those newly discovered whites, Melville Vinyard's 2008 "Verna's" Viognier. Note that the label is very much the same for the 2008 but this is all I could locate for this posting. Forgive me.

After a good morning and afternoon in the Santz Ynez Valley, Christina and I ventured to other side of the county where we sampled a few wines at Sanford (very nice!) and Mosby (Italian varietals) before finding Melville.

Let me start by saying that Melville has a great shop. High class, large presentation. Great landscape and grounds. Very friendly staff. If you plan to visit Santa Barbara County, do visit them!

Our pouring came from a staffer who described the Viognier as "sex in a bottle." After a sample, I concurred. Sex in a bottle about sums it up. Looking at their webpage, I see all of it is now sold. Look hard online or your local shop to find it. At $18.00 or so, this is large! Get as many as you can.

So Viognier has never been a big stand-alone kind of grape outside of the Rhone River Valley. There it is mostly blended with other varietals into Cote du Rhone, etc. This will change your mind about the grape. Huge florals and citrus on the nose. Minerals, orange, and smooth fruit throughout. Super finish. This should make you move away from the usual Chards in favor of this more exciting white!

As Christina will tell you, I'm always trying to move her away from Chards in favor of other whites. This one is one of those that will help my cause. Get it. Get it now!

I give it a 93 on the T-scale. Give 'em a look:


1 comment:

  1. One thing Travis didn't mention in his post is that Melville was last on our list after a full day of tasting at several wineries as well as a full bottle of wine from Fess Parker during our picnic lunch on the grounds of Fess Parker. I'm looking forward to trying this wine (Melville Viognier) again when I haven't been drinking all day.

    ReplyDelete