Friday, July 23, 2010

2004 Fattoria Vignavecchia Chianti Classico


I had the pleasure of enjoying my newly acquired 2004 Fattoria Vignavecchia Chianti Classico last night with my own pairing, a focaccia bread with sun dried Roma tomatoes, pickled artichoke hearts, white onions, covered in Parmesiano-Reggiano baked to perfection (well as close I can get to perfection anyway.)


This is one of my recent purchases through WTSO.com, the online wine seller, who sells nice bottles at 40 - 80% retail with free shipping! Most of the wines on this site are unknowns to me, so I try to do as much research as I can before actually committing to purchase.

So, cost me $14.98 per bottle (4 ordered) with free shipping. For just under $60, I received four bottles for what one might expect to pay for one bottle of really good Chianti or brunello di Montalcino. I am pleased at this relative bargain.

More fruit forward than a lot of Chianti because of the cement tank aging process. Only a portion of this wine saw time in oak barrels. Also note the composition of this wine - 90% Sangiovese and 10% Merlot. The Merlot's affect is noted by the noticeable dark fruit and softened palate. The Tuscany spice is still present as well. I picked up on some dark spices, pepper, and plums with a good finish. This is not the thin "Chianti" your local chain pasta palace will serve you as "house" wine. Rather, this is a bigger stout red with some polish and less of the often too spicy notes from Tuscany. Not too thin, not too spicy.

T-Scale 90. I figure the low price of $14.98 for a bottle that usually retails for twice that price is worth an extra point. There are Italian blends that are better, but you will pay the price for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment