Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Elk Cove Windhill Pinot Noir 2006

The quest for your favorite Pinot Noir should not begin and end in California. Nor should one only consider Burgundy. If you like the bigger and bolder Pinots of Russian River and Santa Ynez, but still appreciate the oaky and old-world style of Burgundy, then try something from Willamette Valley.

Oregon wine making came into its own through the great Pinot Noirs from the Willamette River Valley in and around Salem. I've been amazed at the great spicy quality of most of these I've tried. They pair very well with fish, like grilled salmon, and sharp cheeses. Oregon Pinot Noir and grilled salmon is a pairing institution in Willamette, so I've read.

Ah so comes the deal! Christina attended a private tasting recently and was offered the 2006 Elk Cove Windhill at half price. So, of course, it went into the cellar.. until this weekend. Very nicely balanced and a bit bolder than I would have expected, it retains a dusty spice I like in Oregon Pinot. From what I've read, these don't shelf more than 5 or 10 years, so I wouldn't think twice about opening one of these from 2007 or 2008.

Willamette Pinot is spicier and usually less fruity than California offerings, but overall, I find it to be a better wine for food. Go into these wines with that in mind and you will most likely find something you will go to often for meal or appetizer pairings.

T-Scale 91. Good price for me at $25, most often found between $29 and $40.

No comments:

Post a Comment