Friday, January 15, 2010

Castle Rock 2007 Russian River Syrah

So I went shopping at my favorite local shop for Enthusiast's tasted wines for the month. Well, I only found one - the Castle Rock syrah. It was $11.99 so I wasn't expecting much although W.E. gave it an 86, a fair rating for this price.

I admit, this syrah shows more structure and tannin than expected. I concur with W.E. that this wine would make "a good by-the-glass" wine for restaurants, but it also makes for a decent wine to back up a steak or big pasta dish at home. If you're like me, you save the better bottles for the weekend, but during the week you want a taste and don't really want to put out big money for it. Add this to your list of nice bigger reds for less money.

T-Scale - 88. I like this one at this price. This syrah is better than most Australian shiraz/syrah I've had at this price level. It shows much better than the $10-$12 price would suggest.


From Castle Rock:

WINE MAKING NOTES
Vineyard Source: 100% Russian River Valley
Harvest Date: September, 2007
Brix: 24.0
Fermentation: Barrel Aged 18 months
Oak: 75% French, 25% American
T/A: .60 gr/100 ml
Alcohol: 14.5%
Bottled: April 2009
Cases Produced: 1,400
Winemaker: August Briggs

No comments:

Post a Comment