Monday, March 1, 2010

2008 Zolo Torrontes

I turn once again to the Torrontes grape for an interesting white wine. Anyone else tired of the regular suspects? Yeah, me too.

If you try torrontes and like it, you will be rewarded handsomely with an interesting, tasty, and best of all, inexpensive white wine. I haven't seen torrontes offered outside of Chile and Argentina, but it appears to be of European origin (according to Wikipedia).

It is unique. I've blogged about the Montes Torrontes recently, but I think I'll give the edge to this one.

Zolo offers the big citrus and floral nose often associated with this grape. It really jumps from the glass as if it was waiting too long for you to uncork it. (I've read that Torrontes does not shelf long, so don't be afraid to open a new one the same evening you purchase it.)

Large citrus notes and key-lime pie are present on the tongue. Nothing much subtle here, it's quite fruit forward with plenty of flavor throughout. I find it bold and refreshing, a great wine for the outdoors and warmer weather.

Pair this with something spicy like sushi, Thai or Mandarin. It does serve well as a stand-alone without food, however. This is one of my new "deck favorites" along with rose from Province and Tavel, sauvignon blanc from New Zealand, and others.

T-Scale 89+. Super nice price $11.99!

No comments:

Post a Comment