Thursday, March 25, 2010

Domaine Famille Ligneres Le Signal 2003


Sometimes a great wine just finds you. Browsing one of my favorite local shops, I found myself dreaming of the Chateauneuf-du-Pape, Graves, and Margaux on shelf when I saw a "clearance" selection from a French viticultural area unfamiliar to me named AOC Corbières (Montagne d'Alaric).

I had to do a little research before I learned this is the area nearest the Pyrenees Mountains and the Mediterranean Sea. Not often known for wine, I was a bit leery about trying this, but at the low low discounted rate of $9.98, why not?

Le Signal contains Carignan 80% , Grenache 10%, Syrah 5%, and Mourvèdre 5%, similar to Cotes du Rhone wines. I expected a similar taste and nose, but was surprised to find something more like a Crozes-Hermitage or Gigondas. This is a very fruit, bold, and somewhat peppery wine with some cellar potential... I cannot believe the price I paid.

I find this very like the Chateauneuf-du-Pape reviewed last month. It is very bold for a red French wine and ready to open now. I tried it out of the bottle and found it too tight. I decanted after utilizing the Venturi and it mellowed into a nice fruity big "in your face" Rhone-style red.

The winemaker adds these notes:

Juicy, dark black plums, black cherries and spicy, bloody meat on the nose. A mouthful of delicious, juicy blackberries, cinnamon, and a judicious hint of oak.


I can't explain it better than that. T-Scale 90+. Regular price is $15 - $22 but a super deal at $10 on closeout. I'm going back for more of this, so if you want some, better get there before me. I'll tell you where after I get my stash.

No comments:

Post a Comment