Saturday, April 10, 2010

Longboard Russian River Valley 2007 Pinot Noir

"...a chocolate-currant core enriched with smoky new oak... the texture is silky and fine, and the finish is dry and spicy. Drink now."
Wine Enthusiast


After reading this, I went looking for Longboard Pinot and finally found it at the Cincinnati Wine Festival along with one of the winemakers who was quite gracious in pours and variety. Pinot is hard to find below a certain high dollar threshold, so when I saw that Longboard scored up with the big money, I had to know...

It delivers. Bolder than many US bottles, this one is cola and spices up front with a cherry soda finish which is long and smooth. Great oaky nose and palate with refined middle and strong finish make this a contender for my new house pinot.

Sort of hard to find in the mid country, but I've found a local shop who ordered it in from one of their distributors in a few days. I've been seeing the Longboard Chardonnay out there, so if your favorite shop is carrying it, see if they can get the pinot for you. It's a T-Scale must try especially at this price. I got mine for $24 per bottle. I've seen it as high as $36 per for the 2007, which reviews highly.

Want a California pinot that holds its own against Burgundian without the promise of bankruptcy? Here's your chance to get one.

T-Scale 91+. At this price, you will NOT find a better pinot noir. There are some close, but not quite as rounded at this price level.

No comments:

Post a Comment