Monday, September 20, 2010

Californian Syrah threesome - Adelaida, San Marco Creek, and Dutton Goldfield



The last three bottles I've consumed have all been Californian Syrah. There was a time I wasn't crazy about Syrah, but lately I've really had a taste for it.
One of local proprietors had several bottles discounted for some reason. I had to partake of the following: Adelaida's Viking 2006 $14!!!), San Marcos Creek Estate 2005 ($20), and Dutton Goldfield Cherry Ranch ($20).
The Adelaida is simple a steal at this price. It is quite dry, somewhat earthy, and really fruit forward with dark cherries and leather.
The San Marcos is even fruitier. Not quite as dry, it's more of a stand alone wine made in a more Australian style. It's not as heavy and hot as most Australian, but it's big for California.
The Dutton Goldfield is one of the best food-pairing Syrahs I've had. This complemented my chicken Parmesan nicely. The tomato-basil sauce melted into the mellow dusty flavor of the syrah like a light breeze over a warm autumn day. S
I prefer these Californian Syrahs to most of the Australians I've poured. When I want a large, syrup styled Shiraz I turn to those that Parker rates highly. But, when I have a food pairing or want to enjoy some spice and dust, California serves me well.
If you're not familiar with Syrah, any of these is a good place to start.
T-Scale ratings: Adelaida 89, San Marcos 89, Dutton Goldfield 90
Try some Syrah! It's good for the fall and the cooler weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment