Friday, September 3, 2010

Pacific Rim Vin de Glaciere Riesling - ice wine


Anyone like ice wine? I do. I'm not into sweet wines, but I am into dessert wines. Some of the best examples are late-harvest Rieslings such as the Pacific Rim Vin de Glaciere. This is not a true late-harvest ice wine as the grapes are frozen after harvest and later pressed, but this means that you can enjoy this at a much lower price point than the true examples.

What the Pacific Rim shows is the nice acidity and controlled sweetness one would expect from the German eisweins. I've tried true German beerenauslese and trockenbeerenauslese wines and loved the taste but choked on the price tag. Much of what the big ones bring to the table are present here.

Expect an apricot nose with a tint of aluminum and rot. Yeah I hear ya, it doesn't sound great, but it actually is much better than it sounds. The taste is pleasantly acidic with a touch of orange peel and apricot. At only 10.4% alcohol, I don't get any heat on the tongue. The finish is long as one might expect. My only complaint is the 375ML bottle!

T-scale 89. $16.99 for a half-bottle is more than reasonable.

No comments:

Post a Comment