Sunday, October 11, 2009

Justin Isosceles 2005

On this occasion of my 41st birthday (ugh) my wonderful wife thought enough of me to purchase one of the most fabulous bottles of wine the United States offers the world, Justin Isosceles. I chose the 2005 for tonight's celebration, opting to save my 2006 for another year.

This my friends IS the bottle you should own for now and the future. Pricey ($55.00 or so) but oh so well worth it. I have a bowl of it next to me as I write this. Every five minutes, it releases something new. I can't bring myself to drink it as the nose is changing. I've taken small sips just to see what is evolving.

The blend is 78% Cabernet Sauvignon, 15% Cabernet Franc, 7% Merlot. They are blended in a magical Bordeaux style the Californians call "Meritage" (say "Mare-a-tij"). Of all I've tried, I must say, Justin does it best. I hate to think that there is a reserve Isosceles at Justin, but it is truly a reserve, only available to club members. Oh my... I have to get my hands on one of those.

Nose: big red current fruits, saddle leather, and the dusty Paso Robles road the vineyard lies upon. The taste yields some of the volcanic soil from which the grape grows. Long long soft tannin finish, deep inky dark flavors which finish in mocha and perhaps vanilla.

Anyway, if you want to spend more money than usual on a big red, do this one. It is much less money than big Rutherford Cabs and large Russian River Pinots but oh so rewarding.

T-scale 94. The 2005 is available locally. Although the 2006 is getting slightly higher ratings from Parker and Enthusiast, I believe it is a bit young so give it until 2011 or so. The 2005 might benefit from another year in the bottle but I'm not patient enough to wait. Drink it now!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment