Monday, October 19, 2009

Valley of the Moon pinot blanc

In my quest for a great white wine (which is not chardonnay) I found this one. First recommended by my local aficionado at the wine shop, I've grown to really appreciate this off-dry white.

Some of you will recognize pinot blanc as an Alsacian or German varietal better known as Weißburgunder. Here in the US, it is uncommon to find it as we tend to drink more chardonnay, sauvignon blanc and pinot gris. But this has a lot of strength for a white, having more nose and complexity than most others.

I found this likes to be a bit warmer than other whites. As it warmed in my glass, notes of grassy citrus evolved. Tastes changed too starting lemony, perhaps even nutmeggish (according to Christina), but ending with smokie cheeses - parmigiano reggiano and Irish cheddar.

I wish it ended longer, but overall, a real delight. I visited Valley of the Moon in Sonoma and found their house very polished and friendly. Even though they offer the full gamut of Northern California wines, this is their best offering.

T-Scale - 90+. Price is nice for this one at $13.99 or so. Excellent value! I'd buy a case of this one. This could be another way to get into wine if you are a beer drinker. Watch out though, this one goes down fast. It's that smooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment