Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Bonus Posting: Deals to be had out there

I'm not reviewing anything in particular here but I do want to encourage all of you to hit the close-out sections of your local wine outlet. Some of my friends and I have really found some deals out there lately. Some of those include:

  • Le Signal (that super cinsault-mouvedre) - $9.88 but regularly $22
  • Landmark Overlook chardonnay - $5 per half bottle (bought 2), regularly $40+ per
  • Stonestreet chardonnay - $9.99, regularly $28 per
  • Mercer sauvignon blanc 2007 - $8.99, regularly $17
  • E.Guigal Chateauneuf-du-Pape 2003 - $19, regularly $40+

This is just a small sample, believe me. You can try your regular grocer (Kroger is good), party store, or wine merchant. It seems that they need the shelf space, so those bottle that have been sitting around for a while need to go.

I was a bit concerned about the age and how they were stored while in the shop. But, none so far have been corked or super-heated so I think you're safe. Most of your local merchants will have no problem whatsoever returning the bottle if you bring it in cork and all.

People like me who shop for bargains are out there, so if you see one in the clearance cart, jump on it. Those with I-phones and Blackberries will have the added advantage of getting reviews while in the shop.

Bottom line, shop the close outs. If nothing else, it's a good way to stock your cellar and wine racks with better-than-average bottles for average or less prices.

No comments:

Post a Comment