Monday, May 10, 2010

Chateau Montelena Cabernet Sauvignon 2006

Have you seen Bottle Shock, the movie? If you're a wine lover, I'd recommend it. Chateau Montelena put Napa whites on the world stage back in '76. But, how's the red? Inquiring minds wanted to know.

First of all, it's not cheap - $43. At that price, I expect a mighty good cab, even from Napa. I know what I'm getting in a wine like Hess Alomi ($22), Joseph Carr ($22), and Simi ($20 or so), so for twice the price, I'm thinking it better be pretty darned good.

The nose is nice, much of what I expect from Napa cabs, licorice, leathery, a bit of black pepper and some dark fruit. It's quite dark and full on the tongue with plenty of fruit forward. The finish is nice and long but lacks the large roll off the tongue that others like Peju and Alpha Omega provide.

It's good, but it's no value. It has very good structure and cellar potential. I believe if you have the patience, let it sit for another 2 or 3 years. The structure will make this a long-lasting bottle that will probably only get better over the years. Chateau Montelena tends to gain value with age, so if you are planning to speculate, this would be a good selection.

T-Scale 88. I'd like to try one from 2001 or so to compare.

No comments:

Post a Comment