Friday, June 4, 2010

Allegrini Palazzo della Torre 2006


Always wanted to try Italian red wines but didn't know where to start? Afraid of the high price tag for aged Barolo and Barbaresco? Yep, me too.

I've read much about the famed Amarone and the intense dark fruit, mushroom, and dusty earth flavors hidden inside. I tasted one last week and found it was as promised, but sporting a high price point.

Enter Ripasso. Literally to "pass again" through the skins left over from the Amarone drying process. This adds a big intense flavor boost to the already tasty blend of 70% Corvina Veronese, 25% Rondinella and 5% Sangiovese.

Big dark fruity dusty dry nose yields to a fruit bomb on the tongue. Some intricate layers including some mushrooms, oaky spices, and dark chocolate draw out to a well-rounded finish.

This is the finest Italian wine I've tried at this price point. I would case this one as it will certainly cellar for many years due to the intense structure. Pair this with your pasta sauces made from tomatoes and spices. It will hold up well to rare meats and bbq also. This wine has the power of a Zinfandel with more polish and finesse. I really hate to admit that... being the Zin fan I am.

T-Scale 92+ At 18.99, this IS the best Italian wine at this price point. It will not disappoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment