Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Firelands sparkling Riesling 2008

When one visits the Put-in-Bay, OH area, it is a must to visit the Mon Ami and/or Firelands Wineries. While I'm not a big fan of the still wines since they are mostly sweet, their sparkling wines are a very good value.

To the right you will see me displaying the Riesling bottle shortly before it was emptied. This sparkling Rielsing goes perfectly with a warm day in a gazebo on a small island in Lake Erie - as illustrated.

I didn't expect much because the label gives no description of residual sugar content. Surprisingly, this is at least extra dry, probably brut. The Riesling produced a nice acidic finish after the bright start.

I'm not sure how far away from Sandusky this gets distributed, but if you find it, I recommend it. $13.99 at their shop, $16 on the island, this makes for a very good value in a somewhat unusual, but tasty sparkling wine.

T-Scale 88+. Very good value!

No comments:

Post a Comment