Tuesday, June 29, 2010

R Wines Southern Gothic Poor Thing Grenache 2008

Want a large Grenache? There are none larger than the "R" Wines Gothic "Poor Thing" Grenache release of 2008. This is a sort of freak of nature along with the other monster creation from R - the "Southern Belle" Shiraz, aged in Bourbon Barrels from.. Kentucky!

I bought this before ever tasting it, knowing that the big big big taste from Southern Belle's maker would transform Grenache into something wonderful. But, at a tasting, I was a bit disappointed. In fact, one other couple I know actually returned their bottle (purchased at a discount) after the tasting. I kept mine and cellared it.

Well I revisited it the other day and was very pleasantly surprised! This is a great bottle! In fact, I'm going to buy the other two bottles just to complete the picture the three labels complete when they're together.

Expect lovely understated raspberries, earth, and oak on the palate. Some kind of complexity on the nose including black pepper, dust, and fruit preserves. This delivers a fruity steamroller that doesn't stop until it's rolled you over. It doesn't finish long, but it never fades while on the palate.

I've never had anything quite like this, and I'm sure there's not a whole lot else out there like it. I've seen reviews over 95 points on it, with Wine Advocate at 91 points. I'm liking it, but not quite that much.

T-Scale 90 points. This is one of the biggest, smoothest of the Australian Grenache offerings around. Very smooth and enjoyable and at $18.99 it's a good value. Collect all three labels and you get a pretty cool picture!

No comments:

Post a Comment