Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Dutton-Goldfield Ranch Pinot Noir 2007

This was my first exposure to the famed Dutton family of Pinot Noir wine making. I've looked for Duttons but have failed to find one locally. So, while in Alexandria, VA I found one at a nice little shop named Unwined. (Give 'em a try when in Metro Washington DC.)

This is a partnership with one of the Dutton brothers, Steve, with an master wine maker named Dan Goldfield.

Nice Pinot-esque nose with promises of mild acidity, cherry, and cola. The taste is more strawberry cola (didn't know there was such a thing, but try this and you will see what I mean) and mild oak with a fine light finish. Quite smooth and well ripened fruit make up the middle and end.

I prefer my Pinot Noir to be a bit more forward, but this serves as a fine example of the finesse Miles sought after during his "Sideways" sojourning. At $39, it's no screaming deal, but it's not William Sellyam either which can fetch well over $100 per example!

T-Scale 90. Great wine, quite smooth, but not a power Pinot Noir. Still, I recommend Longboard Pinot Noir for the money.

From the winemaker: "The mouth is striking for its combination of plush cherry and blackberry fruit, bright acidity and supple tannins, all carried through the persistent, spicy finish."

No comments:

Post a Comment