Thursday, November 26, 2009

Montgras Carmenere 2008 - Chile

Carmenere is a new grape to me. At one time, this was a fairly common blending grape in Bordeaux but now only is found in Chile. The Chileans do great things with Malbec as you know. Carmenere gets good reviews, so I'm having a taste.

This gets a 90 from Parker and Enthusiast and I went in with heightened expectations. First impressions from the nose remind me of cab blends or malbec. First taste reminds me of 89-90 rated cab with smooth finish and subtle tannin. Very Bordeaux-like. Velvet soft oak finish and light tanning unlike Rhone varietals like zin and syrah. Another good Chilean choice here!

T-scale 90+ Great price $12.99. I've had grape juice twice this price I've enjoyed half as much. Think about Chile next time you're shopping. Chile is the Australia of 5 years ago, bargains galore! Malbec is a bit too full of tannin but Carmenere is much more tame. Try this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment