Sunday, November 29, 2009

Bernardus Marinus 2003 - Super nice California Meritage!


When in California, I found myself comparing Meritage from whomever produced it. Justin Isosceles, Calcereous Twisted Sister, Williamson Allure, etc... We wandered into Carmel Village and found Bernardus. Good Chardonnay there, but the star is Marinus. I got a shot at the reserve and was pleasantly rewarded. I don't want to talk about the price however...

For those of us who like to drink more than cellar, there is the regular release Marinus. I luckily found a 2003 Marinus on the shelf at regular price here in Naples! As predicted, the 2003 let go of the tannin tightness I found in the 2005. It's ready to drink now.

Leather and liquorice on the nose. Big ripe fruits and tingling sting on the tongue says that tannins still remain, but are loose now. Big fruity cherry Slushy feel throughout. Light and long fruity tannin finish. Heck of a nice Meritage here! Very Bordeaux-like feel and structure.

The composition disclosed by Bernardus is as follows: "The 2003 vintage is comprised of 73.3% Cabernet Sauvignon, 19.6% Merlot, 3.6% Cabernet Franc and 1.9% Petit Verdot and 1.6% Malbec."

If you can find it, get it. You will not get the big Bordeaux structure in a more affordable bottle. I'm thinking case here if I can find more at home at this price.

T-Scale 91 - $25.99, one of the best values on the market at this price. My favorite, Justin Isosceles, is $60.00 a bottle. The 2003 Marinus is nearly as good but a whole lot more affordable. Let me know if you find it locally. It might not be readily available.

No comments:

Post a Comment