Monday, November 23, 2009

T-Scale Thanksgiving edition - need a holiday reco?



Everyone's doing it I know... I know... but here's my $0.02 worth for your holiday quaffing. Forget cab, pinot, and merlot-based stuff this holiday. The food is king and the complexities of the usual good stuff gets lost in a sea of stuffing, sides, and desserts. What you want is something that dominates the taste buds and stands out above the chow.

Reds: Zinfandel is the word. Don't go after the big names with the big price tags. You don't need that, just get one that is a heavy-hitting peppery
delight. Try this guy - Lodi 7 Deadly Zins. Readily available, tasty, and big.

Whites: Gewürztraminer or Reisling. Why? A little sweetness on the palette.
Chances are you are like me and are going to entertain those people who aren't regular wine consumers.
Fortunately these offer them (and you) a way to enjoy a white you don't normally choose.
The great thing about the German varietals is the low price of really great bottles. Try the Washington grown Chateau St. Michelle
gewurtz







Sparklers are IN for the holidays. The names in US made bubbly are Domain Carneros,
Domain Chandon, and my new fav, Gloria Ferrer. I prefer brut rose but recently tried the Royal
Cuvee 2001 and now will keep it on my short list.

No comments:

Post a Comment