Sunday, September 27, 2009

Melville - Estate Pinot Noir, Santa Rita Hills 2007


Ah Melville. One of my favorites in every way. Santa Barbara County near California 1 in Lompoc. I've raved about their estate so I won't revisit that part of the experience.

This is Pinot Noir extreme. Everything you like in a pinot exaggerated.. big fruits, dark tea flavors, asparagus on the nose. Light earth long on the finish. When Paul Giamatti recited his lines in Sideways, this is the one he was talking about.

Those who know me understand my love for the pinot grape. More depth and art can be expressed her than with most any other grape. Cabs are huge and show the vigneron's efforts as much, but still, pinot is the art of the grape.

This is quite large for pinot admittedly. Advocates probably say too much so, but for me, it exhibits all that is good. It's young, but this will become your Central Coast choice for pinot in time. Still relatively inexpensive, in a few years this will increase in value undoubtedly. Too bad I can't hold it that long, it's too tempting to cork.

T-scale - 93! And.. it's in stock locally. The world is a better place because of this one. Yes, you should own it. If you are new to pinot, start here. Beware, you won't like anything less after you try this one.

Let me quote Melville's website, :....this wine opens with lifted fruit punch aromatics of black raspberry, black cherry, fig and watermelon. Spice nuances of pink peppercorns, oolong tea, iron and sesame seed follow." - agreed.

No comments:

Post a Comment