Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Ridge Dusi Ranch Zinfandel 2006


One of three Ridge zins I've had recently, the Dusi Ranch places in the middle. C believes Dusi places above Lytton Springs, but hey, it's like vanilla and chocolate, right?

Dusi is a fruit bomb right out of the bottle with no air and no decanting. In fact, don't decant this one. It's potent up front and it softens somewhat over time in the glass. If you like "in your face" this is for you. Lower pepper and hot stinging spice than some. What you get is large dark fruit instead. This is one of the zins Enthusiast has told us about.

Dusi sound familiar? It did to me too. Turley also bottles a Dusi. Turns out, the Dusi brothers own two vineyards in the same area of Paso Robles. The fruit is first rate! The Dusis don't bottle anything, but they sure do grow fabulous zin grapes.

Compare the Ridge and the Turley and you will find some similarities. Both are top zins with a big big feel. Either would make you dance a jig, but you won't find the Turley outside of their house or wine club. I will be holding onto mine for a few years or until such time I can get out there to get another. There is currently a two-year wait to GET IN THEIR WINE CLUB. Bummer! But until such time, Ridge is available. I noticed that the 2007 vintage of Ridge Dusi Ranch is now "Paso Robles Zin" and is sports a little less alcohol. I'll review this one in the near future.

T-scale - 92 - big, big big... not readily available however. Find one, drink now. Email me if you try the newer Paso Robles Zin before me. Also, if you find Lytton Springs, get it. It gets a 93+ on the T-scale. Also let me know where you find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment