Sunday, September 13, 2009

Sunstone Milestone merlot 2003

We picked up our Sunstone "Milestone" merlot directly at the source at the Sunstone estate. Great tasting! We opted for the deluxe reserve tour and were treated to the grande tour. The estate reserves are big time here, but this estate merlot is quite nice.

The Milestone is not the reserve, but I found this to be a better value. We had the last of the 2003 vinting and were very impressed. You know I'm not a merlot fan, but this one is a winner. I usually find merlot jammy and flabby, but this one was done correctly. Drink it alone or with something in a fat steak or tomato based pasta. It'll stand up to your Sunday big dish.

Shame I can't get any more of this, we got this bottle from the last of the cases in house. If it's still on the shelf, go ahead and buy it. Also, tell me where you found it. It's good value in merlot and it makes me rethink the entire grape. I know there's good merlot out there, and this one makes me a believer!

T-scale: 90 with a bullet.

Find it and it's reasonably priced. Sunstone is out of it, so if you know where I can find it, email me. Probably in the best merlots out there. Plenty of character, compare to syrah. You know, it's better than most California syrah actually.

No comments:

Post a Comment